Saturday, October 22, 2011

My experience with Osgood-Schlatter's disease

I was 9 or 10, in my first year (7th grade) of boarding high school in Nigeria, when I developed a sharp pain in my knees whenever I knelt or crouched down. I really don't remember how long I had been experiencing this pain, but soon my knees developed a protruding knot, the size of a nickel. Still, I didn't think much of it, especially since there wasn't anything health officials at my school could do. In boarding school, we self-medicated most times. It was either that or you trekked to the health center, otherwise called the "sick bay," to get some pain medication and folic acid. The school never seemed to run out of folic acid. Besides, I thought the pain was a result of the countless punishment I endured for testing the likes of the older students or my teachers.

On my school's track team. Bottom row, third from left.

Me (right) with a friend, soon after winning the best female athlete in my 5th year (11th grade).
I was still experiencing the pain when I went home for a school break, so I mentioned it to my mom, who is a nurse. Before I knew it I was whisked away to the hospital for tests. "You have athlete's knees," the doctor told me in my mom's presence. I don't remember what he said about its cause or any treatment or cure, but he said it was something I developed from my endless physical activities as a multi-sport athlete. Thus began my torturous journey in boarding school, where kneeling, the simplest form of punishment you could wish to receive, became my worst. Anything that required stooping or kneeling for long periods felt like a death sentence at the time.

My swollen knee.
Over the years, I forgot about my diagnosis and embraced my swollen knees as normal. I actually felt a thing of pride when I spotted athletes (ex-NBAer Rasheed Wallace is one) with knot-size swollen knees. Recently I mentioned the diagnosis as I reminisced on my high school's Facebook page, and was asked what exactly athlete's knees was by a former track teammate. I didn't know. I'd been satisfied with the doctor's diagnosis that it never occurred to me that there might be another name for it.

So nearly two decades since I walked out of the doctor's, I took to Google to find out if the disease really did exist. Turns out it does. I have Osgood-Schlatter's disease. With a name like that, it's no wonder my doctor gave me a much simpler name, which hints to who is mostly diagnosed with the injury. According to information I found in my short research, Osgood Schlatter's disease is a very common cause of knee pain in children and young athletes usually between the ages of 10 and 15. It occurs due to a period of rapid growth, combined with a high level of sporting activity. These changes result in a pulling force from the patella tendon, on to the tibial tuberosity (bony protrusion at the top of the shin). This area then becomes inflamed, painful and swollen. This is frequent in younger people due to the remaining softness in their bones (from childhood). It is seen more often in children involved with running and jumping activities, which put a much greater strain on the patella tendon. It's likely caused by excess strain on the quadriceps.

Osgood-Schlatter's disease

Gael Monfils with his taped knees
At its worst, the pain from the inflammation can cause professional athletes like French tennis player Gael Monfils to pull out of major tournaments. Fortunately, it didn't affect my competitive career, which ended after high school. But while the pain ceases over the years for some, mine has remained; though not as intensely as once was. The only suggested treatment is taping the knees down to reduce swelling or icing it after competition. Now before the messages come pouring in, there's no cause for alarm. My normal life isn't altered by this in anyway. It's just nice to finally understand what I've been experiencing all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment