Wednesday, October 12, 2011

*Movie Review* - "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" (2010)

I loved "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead." Let me just say that right off the bat. When I saw the trailers for "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" (2010) last year, I really wanted to see the movie. Mostly because of the connection to "Shaun of the Dead." This movie is nothing like "Shaun of the Dead" and that was a huge letdown. As the movie progressed toward the conclusion, I repeatedly questioned why I was still watching it. When it was over, I wanted that two hours of my life back.

The movie follows a video game theme that makes no sense at any point in time. Well, let me rephrase that. The video game theme is introduced in the beginning of the movie and proceeds to get increasingly more annoying as the movie went on.

The movie did have some funny moments. But those moments were too few and far between. I like Michael Cera. He managed to make horrible movies like "Year One" and "Superbad" tolerable. But I am not one of those people that can be forced to find a movie cutting-edge or significant just because the cool kids do. I wanted to like this movie, I really did, but I just could not.

I think one of the biggest problems with the movie is that things happen for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Out of the blue people are attacking other people with bass notes and people's eyes are glowing. Then an evil, alternate Michael Cera appears at a point when you just want the movie to end.

Cera does posses an innocent charm that sometimes works and sometimes does not. It is hard to tell whether or not the movie is taking itself seriously. I will use my "Shaun of the Dead" point of reference to assume the movie is not taking itself seriously. But even with that kind of leeway, there is not enough consistency to make the movie funny. The jokes that run throughout the movie are weak and the surprises are not really very funny either.

The people that constantly look for new movies to like because they know no one else will understand the movies will love this one. But don't let anyone make you feel bad for not liking "Scott Pilgrim." It just isn't that funny.

RATING: 1 OUT OF 5

No comments:

Post a Comment