Monday, January 17, 2011

What to look for!

Happy New Year!

I know it's almost three weeks into the year, but I'm starting off the year with a new blog that combines several projects I have in the works; almost all revolving around my career in sports.

As many of my friends know, and I hope others getting acquainted with me will find out, I have been passionate about sports since I knew how to walk. Once it became obvious that I wasn't going to have a professional career in any of the seven sports I played up to high school, I became passionate about covering the athletes who do.

Since leaving my job as a sports editor of a newspaper to pursue a master's in broadcast journalism, I've learned how to use a video camera to tell stories I'd normally tell in print, on video. And while I'm becoming more experienced as a broadcast journalist, I want to continue to do what I've loved doing best: writing.

So the purpose of this blog is to combine all of these elements. I'm in my last semester of graduate school and working on a documentary as my graduate project. I hope everything will go smoothly, but anticipate the possibility that there may be a few hiccups. I'll share the journey to its completion.

Last semester, my documentary Ke Nako, was selected to air in the spring semester's "J School Journals." It means I'll have to cut the 27-minute documentary to 15 minutes. So I'll also document some of that process through my blog.

I came back to school to get a world of experiences that would prepare me for a career as a multimedia journalist. Covering the World Cup in South Africa is one of them. Becoming a producer for FAMU's News 20 @ 5 is another. It's something I've never done, and I'll also be a reporter on a day that I'm not producing, but I'm up for the challenge.

Lastly, you'll be getting my thoughts and opinions about stories that capture my attention in sports. Some of them will be the biggest news in sports, but others may be the stories no one's giving the attention it deserves

So here's to the new year and new experiences. I'll leave you with my trailer for Ke Nako (It's Time,) about South Africa's journey from independence from apartheid to hosting the World Cup.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment