Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Newscast producer debut

I had the honor of producing the first live newscast of the year today, and I'm sure you may be expecting me to brag about how effortless the show was as proof of my natural ability to produce news shows.

It wasn't the case.

I had everything that could possibly go wrong, happen. And when I mean wrong, I mean not having videos to go along with most of my stories because there was an issue with the way the videos were formatted. This meant that many of my stories were readers* or even worse, dropped. You know what happens when stories get dropped without back up stories to replace them? You guessed right, I was grossly under my allotted time for the show. Fortunately we were able to get by on re-running a weather wrap and having our anchors chat about the stories.

In retrospect, I can breathe a sigh of relief like everyone suggested I do. Afterall I just produced a show with no black holes in them and all my stories (I believe) read cleanly. But I think the embarrassment of not coming as close to the quality of work I set for myself was hard to swallow; even for a first try at it. So much that I shed a few tears of anger. Yes, you read right. And now you know a little personality trait about me, I tear up whenever I'm very upset.

But after a few words of encouragement from two of my professors, I am ready to move on and give this another shot next week. Although with about 15 weeks left to the end of the semester I really have no choice but to.

*Reader: An anchor reading a script on camera with a graphic picture on the top left or right corner of the screen illustrating the subject of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment