Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Back from hiatus

Hey guys,

I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but as you can imagine, my last semester in grad school is winding down so I have very little time to dedicate to anything that doesn't produce a grade necessary for me to possess a diploma with a master's of science in broadcast journalism degree.

On a positive note, I spent my weekend in Birmingham, Alabama, where I received an award that I'm very proud of.



The story I won this award for was one of the earlier ones I wrote involving the actual World Cup coverage. Fans who couldn't afford tickets to matches could go to a number of fan parks around the country to simulate the stadium experience.

It's funny this ended up being a winning story because I actually didn't like it much. I had caught the cold and lost my voice while out there (this was before my dreaded flu bout, which came about a week to the end of our trip.) So I had to yell above the crowd noise to be heard. Well, I felt I overdid it and just couldn't see what my professor, Joe Ritchie, saw in this package.

I guess he was right in saying it was a winning piece, though I suspect one very excited lady-- look out for someone spotting a huge pair of glasses-- played a huge role in getting me this award.

Thanks to all of you have been supportive through my entire master's journey, and as my time in Tallahassee winds down, I must say I'm grateful for every experience I've had; even the painful ones.

Now about that third place finish, I'd sure like to see who finished ahead of me.

**Click on the link below to watch the package.**

‘It’s like being in the stadium’

No comments:

Post a Comment