Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Goodbye Miami Part 2

In the last few weeks before I left Miami, I chose a more active social lifestyle. No I didn't hit the club scene save for one trip with my friend Oyinkan, which bagged me a hug from one of my favorite singers (you can find out who here).  And if anyone has experienced the South Beach nightlife, you'd know how hard it can be to shun this sleepless ritual. Instead, I chose the concert routes.

The first was the biggest concert of the summer. The rare concert performance of Sade Adu, with a guest appearance by John Legend. One word. Amazing. Sade averages one tour every decade, so I wasn't going to miss seeing this never-aging beauty from my homeland. Besides, you never know if it'll be her last.
                    From left: Yinka, me, Utibe, Idy, Faith at Sade Adu's concert.

For an hour, before she took the stage, John Legend wowed the audience with his powerful vocals, smooth piano skills, and even his suave dance moves. Belting out favs like "Ordinary People," "Green Light" and "This Time," he took us to that old school mood that was the perfect preparation for Sade. My only regret was not being the lucky lady he called onstage to serenade.



I was curious to see just how Sade would hold the audience's attention for about two hours, not being a performer with back up dancers and all. No problem! She had everyone singing along to everything from "Cherish the Day" and "Smooth Operator," to "Soldier of Love," "No Ordinary Love," to "By Your Side." I was so enamored by her stage presentation and use of curtains to set up the scene, and even more by the video director's live editing on the jumbotrons. It seemed like you were watching an after concert version, edited for DVD.



For Miami residents, the annual Zo's Summer Grove weekend, which helps raise money for retired Miami Heat star Alonzo Mourning's charity benefiting kids, is as ubiquitous as boats sailing around the city. I met Zo one summer, years ago (I'll save that awkward encounter for another day,) but had never had the chance to participate in his charity weekend. Until this summer; its 15th year of existence and the first time the gala's concert was opened to the general public. It wasn't a coincidence that I was attending just to see another fav singer, Alicia Keys, perform. I'd had a chance to see A. Keys perform at the World Cup Opening Concert last year (you can read my review of that concert also featuring John Legend here) but I was seated a lot farther from the stage then.


She also performed "Diary," my favorite song of hers as well as "No One," and three others. Cee-Lo was also in the house though my videos of him are lodged in a Picasa album, of which I cannot download videos from. The big spenders never got up through performances from opening acts "Black Violin" and another really good acapella group who made it to the semis of America's Got Talent,  but when Cee-Lo started belting out his popular tune "F@#k You," everyone jumped to their feet.

I can't say the same for Dave Chappelle, who was brought up to introduce comedian Carlos Mencia, but who seemed a bit out of it. From what I heard, he was a huge disappointment the night before, when he was supposed to headline the star-studded comedy night. It was a fun night with Tee regardless and I felt good knowing I was helping out kids even with my measly contribution.

On my last day at the Miami Herald, the world editor invited me to sit in on an interview with a special guest. It turned out to be Seun Kuti, son of the legendary Afrobeat musician Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. If you don't know who Fela is, then you ought to check out the award-winning Broadway play produced by Jay-Z and Will and Jada Smith, which is still touring the country.

I'd seen Fela's first son, Femi Kuti, perform at the Central Park Summer Stage in New York back in 2007, but not Seun. I'd heard the Kutis were a friendly bunch, but didn't expect Seun to be so down to earth. I wasn't planning on attending his concert, but Seun wasn't having it. He invited me and a friend Yinka to be his personal guests, so I had no choice but to oblige. I'm sure glad I did.



I had a very long day at work and barely managed to make it on time-- straight from work-- before it started. The number of Oyibos in the house was unbelievable. I'm not sure how they understood Nigeria's indigenous Pidgin English. But they stayed jamming throughout the night to some of his father's popular songs as well as his own original music, backed by Fela's old band Egypt 80. Seun is a spitting image of his father, even more than Femi. And his stage presence is exactly like Fela's.





After the concert, Yinka and I went backstage to meet Seun and the rest of Egypt 80. The younger members of the band were very friendly.


Seun has actually been invited to perform at next year's New Orleans Jazz Festival and Coachella, the famous music festival in California. I wonder if I'd score another personal invite as well. Either way, I couldn't have asked for a better way to close out my summer in Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment