Thursday, November 3, 2011

My meeting with Barack Obama...

...never happened. But I came close last Friday. How close? Well, a door stood between me and the Oval Office, which, at the time of my visit, was occupied by President Obama. He was probably preoccupied with working to pass an executive order on drug shortages in the U.S., while I was hoping he'd pop his head out so I can ask him all sorts of sports-related questions. Alas, I didn't get my wish, but it was a memorable experience all the same.

I was part of a group of students from Florida A&M University (the No. 1 historically black college & university in the U.S.) who were invited to the White House to learn about career opportunities within the White House office of communications. We also visited Capitol Hill to hear about similar opportunities within other branches in government. Thanks to FAMU alum Quintin Haynes, the associate director of finance operations at the White House, and Kevin Lewis, White House director of African American media, we got a rare opportunity to hear from White House Press Secretary Jay Carney and his deputy Josh Earnest.
Jay Carney imitating the Rattler strike.
Growing up in Nigeria, I was never interested in politics. If you know anything about Nigerian politics, you know it is a dirty game where "no holds barred" is the only rule applied. If you need some context as to how different the political game is between the U.S. and Nigeria, then you only need refer to the case of U.S. Rep William Jefferson of Louisiana, who was convicted for corruption charges involving a number of shady dealings with several African countries. Among his cohorts was then-Vice President of Nigeria Abubakar Atiku, who was never investigated in Nigeria for his role in this criminal act. Ironically, one of the people we met on the Hill was Jefferson's former press secretary Melanie Roussell, now the Democratic National Party's press secretary. Roussell, a FAMU alum as well, was very genuine in her recollection of how difficult that period was her, job-wise, and for Jefferson, who wanted more focus to be placed on the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana. Along with other officials at the Hill and White House, she convinced me that a career in U.S. politics could be beneficial and rewarding.

With White House officials. FAMU connections indicated by the strike.



The trip wasn't all work, though I wouldn't totally classify a White House visit as work. We stopped by the newly dedicated Martin Luther King Memorial. We were scheduled to cover its original unveiling, but missed out on the opportunity thanks to Hurricane Irene, which forced its postponement. If you haven't visited this national monument yet, you should. There's something serene about this place. And you never know who you may meet there. I ran into noted black historian Henry Louis Gates, who was also visiting for the first time.

With Henry Louis Gates at the MLK Memorial

The gigantic sculpture of Civil Rights Leader Martin Luther King Jr.


Overall, I enjoyed this trip immensely. I didn't get to talk sports or play basketball with President Obama, but I left with a valuable experience worth savoring for years. Meanwhile, I'm encouraging total honesty here. For those of you who've known me and know about my passion for sports, can you envision a career in politics for me?

White House Press Room

No comments:

Post a Comment