Saturday, September 27, 2008

How I met Joe Louis

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Little story here about how I met the man that I think was the greatest heavyweight of all times, Joe Louis , in 1977, we, my son Frankie Baltazar , the late Johnny Flores, trainer, and myself left L.A to go to Miami Fl., Frankie was going to fight Francisco Villegas on Don King's u.s tournament , Larry Holmes was also going to fight , that was the week end the scandal broke, anyway getting back to Louis it was a sad & happy experience for me , sad because I was seening Louis working for Don King ,he was suppose to be our driver , happy because I met the greatest heavyweight of all time ,he was to drive us where we needed to go , well I was't going to let the great Louis drive the Baltazar's around , him and Johnny were old buddys from back in the WWII days , so I had them sit in the back of the car an I took the wheel an I drove Joe Louis around.

I found Louis to be a man of few words, and he spoke so low that it was hard for me to hear what he was saying when he and Johnny were riding in the back of the car, when we were just hanging out I found him to be a very humble man, but at the same time fun to be around, it was a great experience for me to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment